Saturday 15 January 2011

Mongol Gallery Day 3 (after an absence).

Anyone who remembers my previous attempts to write regularly will know that if I miss a few days for whatever reason, I tend to beat myself up over it, abandon the whole project and sulk for a while. I know damn well though that writing is what I'm meant to do, so I shall write my excuses here and then get back on track with the continuing evolution of the screenplay "The Mongol Gallery".

So, I think I've missed three days now. On Wednesday, I was babysitting young Tashai Simpson, my stepgrandson who needs 110% of my attention. I find that, when I write, I need to plug in the headphones and listen to my mix radio on last fm and I can't do that while babysitting. Realistically, that's going to take away two or three of the periods I have set aside for writing. I won't change the title of this blog to "fourteen or fifteen movies in a year" but merely recognise the appropriateness of the question mark.

On Thursday, I went to an open mic at the Embassy, Islington where I had fun singing The Lost Songs of Billy Strayhorn, Billy Strayhorn's own song "Lush Life" and reading my poem "The Gospel According to Spider Calhoun". I'm not going to do this every week, but realistically with open mics, Vaccination gigs, recordings and the like, there could be sixty odd days when I won't be writing this year, so that puts it down to twelve movies in a year.

And then there was Friday. The bus was just so slow, I was knackered by the time I came home and didn't have the energy to write. Added to that, it was my one opportunity this week to have time to sit down and chat with my wife. Awright, let's call it ten movies in a year, I won't beat myself up. It's still impressive. I'm going to follow Barbara Sher's advice and just keep on keeping on. I actually bought her book "I could do anything if I only knew what it was" something like fifteen years ago but I know what it is. I'm supposed to write. I'm supposed to sing. I'm supposed to make movies.

So. Back to Viki King. On Day Three, I should be writing pages 30 to 45. So, from the masturbation scene to the moment when Peter realises the effect his actions are having on the real world and in particular on Anna Kern.

Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment